Acid cleaner ruined my appliances

(-----) February 14, 2008

The tile installer used an acid cleaner to remove the apoxy grout residue from my tile floors. It took the finish off all of my new kitchen appliances! Is there anything that will restore the finish? The builder put a paste of baking soda and water on them but it didn't work. The appliances are streaked and discolored.

Diane Shields
consumer - Hampton, N.H., USA
^

This is a tragedy, Diane, and you are not the first victim of it.

Apparently there are two ways to deal with tile grout cleanup:

-- the way I've always done it, which is to wash it up with damp sponges a half dozen times, and then another half dozen times, and then another half dozen times, dumping and refilling the bucket endlessly, and then many more times until your arms feel like they are falling off, all before it dries . . .

-- or to dissolve it with dilute Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] . The problem is that muriatic acid is not really a liquid, it's a gas dissolved in water. It fumes, and the fumes are highly corrosive. You don't have to splash the appliance with the acid, it just has to be in the general area. I hope the builder is well insured because I really hate to say it but these same fumes probably also got inside the electronics and wiring of the appliances.

^

Ted is absolutely correct that hydrochloric or Muriatic acid is very corrosive as is CLR and bleach. But lucky you! Scratch-B-Gone removes this discoloration very quickly. If chemicals got into mechanism dilute with Baking Soda mix with water to neutralize acidity. Best

Barry Feinman
Barry Feinman
BarrysRestoreItAll
Carlsbad, California
barrysrestoreitall
^

I am in a construction warranty period and the contractor had to redo some grout. He used muratic acid in his clean up water but will it damage the finished wood it got on or remove the color from the new grout?

Lucretia Wilferth
consumer/ house flipper - Fredericksburg, Texas
^