Plating your bus and anode bars?

(-----) February 9, 2008

I have an associate with a nickel bath and he plated every copper bus and anode bar in his system with Ni. Prevailing wisdom says you never cut out any current flow ability from your system. Of course it is much easier housekeeping, but is it wise?

I have used PVC tubing and PVC pipe one my anode bars. I have also electric taped them and worked the Ti basket hooks through the tape. Then I have had much less to clean or drip into my baths.

bob adams
Bob Adams CEF
Tijuana, Mexico
^

I think these are all good ideas. I see no downside as long as the anode basket can't shift to where the tape wasn't cut.

^

So are you saying nickel plating IS a good idea?

bob adams
Bob Adams CEF
Tijuana, Mexico
^

Yes, I think so. It is helpful towards avoiding bath contamination anywhere the anodes get wet, and does not harm in the rest of the bus (although it may not be cost effective there).

I don't think it cuts current carrying capacity at all because the current is carried along the bus by the copper regardless of whether the copper has nickel plating on it or not. And as for contact resistance, surely it's somewhat lowered due to the nickel plating.

^