Help! Antique shortgun is rusting

(-----) February 8, 2008

I have an old antique stotgun that was mounted on wall for many years
There was recently a fire and the entire house was destroyed except for a few items I was able to salvage. One of the items was this special shotgun but it starting to rust from water damage and it smells like smoke. Is there anyway I can remove the rust or stop it from rusting any further? It is non functioning. I'll take any advice you can give. I'm not so much worried about the smell of the smoke in the wood as the rust.

Tiffany Averill
need advice - Baltimore, Maryland
^

I would wipe on a thin layer of Machinery Oil [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], which will do nothing to hurt it, but which will temporarily deter rusting until you can sort things out.

^