How To Remove a Lead Coating from Titanium 64.

(-----) February 5, 2008

I have a customer who used glass beads to blast off lead from Ti64 blades. They then sent the blades to us in order to remove the remainder of the lead. My first thought was to use a 50% Nitric Acid solution. Is there any better ways to remove Pb from these Ti64 blades?

Rob Winkky
Junior Engineer - Elmira, New York
^

I treated some blades for 90 minutes in a 50% Nitric Acid solution with agitation. The titanium oxidized, turning the piece a little blueish. However, there was still lead and iron on the surface. My thought was that since it was shot peened, it actually impregnated the surface. I think I actually need to remove some material instead of just trying to attack the lead.

Rob Winkky
- Elmira, New York
^

I might have misread something here but HF, not nitric, attacks lead.

^