What Type of Soda Will Make a Nail Rust the Fastest?

(-----) January 16, 2008

I am a 13 year old student, I am doing a experiment on what soda will make a nail rust the fastest. I have tried to search the site but could not find anything. I am in Washington. My hypothesis is If I put a little nail into a soda Then it will rust Because of the ? I can't find that out. Please help me thank you.

Michael D
- Steilacoom, Washington, USA
^

Hi, Michael. You don't have a hypothesis yet, as long as you have the '?' in it. And if you did know which type of soda makes a nail rust fastest there would be no point in the experiment anyway except to perfect the technique of 'junk science' (juryrigging experiments to produce the result you wanted or expected).

So please try it this way instead, Michael: Use only the portion of your hypothesis before the word 'Because'. Practice good lab method, including keeping a proper lab book, and record your observations as put the little nails into the different sodas. Arrive at a conclusion which your results support. Then see what curiousities you develop from writing your conclusions, and use them to form a new hypothesis. Good luck!

^