Returning polished aluminum to an "as-cast" texture and finish

(-----) January 8, 2008

Hi, I have a set of vintage "mag" wheels (cast aluminum) one of which has been polished. What method can one use to return it to an "as-cast" finish and texture to match the others? Thanks

Chris Cook
restoration hobbyist - Incline Village, Nevada, USA
^

I'm gonna rephrase my question. I have a set of vintage "mag" wheels (cast aluminum). One of them has been polished. I would like to return the "texture" of its center to the "as-cast" feel of the other wheels. The centers of all are going to get painted so, I'm not worried about changing the color, just the texture. I figure it will end up being some sort of media blast but, what media, pressures, etc.? Any recommendations? Thanks to all.

Chris Cook
Restoration Hobbyist - Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
^

To my recollection those wheels had a matt type finish. I am reasonably sure that it is some type of a blast finish. I do not think a casting such as those would come out of the mold with that even and consistent finish. As for media and air pressure. You are going to have to experiment. Since the wheels are old the aluminum has probably change in color over the years. I suspect you are going to end up doing all the wheels to get them to match. Of course I am only guessing.

Frank DeGuire
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA
^