Slurry Density measurment of Lapping compound

(-----) January 7, 2008

Dear all ,

Hi I am working in a piston rings manufacturing company in India. Currently we are doing Piston ring lapping for getting the surface finish and the profile. We use a Al2o3 grit combined with Hydraulic oil and Kerosene mixture for the lapping process.

Now I want to monitor my Slurry topping up and replacement frequency for getting better quality.

Currently this is done purely by the experience of the production people. Is there any scientific method of measuring the density of slurry (lapping compound i.e Al2O3 ratio wrt Oil).

Please let me have your valuable inputs.

Sheshadri PR
Lapping process engineer - Chennai , Tamil Nadu and India
^

This is not a direct answer to your question. I think you would be better off telling us what you are trying to achieve. Your method sounds time consuming and maybe subject to the human factor. There are lapping machines and other automated or semi automated systems that maybe more effective than try to monitor the slurry.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
retired business owner - Hatboro, Pennsylvania
^