LOSSES IN MELTING ZINC; BEST FLUX; MIXING PURE & SCRAP

(-----) 2007

Q. SIR,

WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO SHARE WITH US WHAT WILL BE THE MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM MELT LOSS WHILE MELTING PURE ZINC INGOTS IN A BALE OUT FURNACE WHICH ARE OIL FIRED.

BV VIJAYA BHASKAR
SELLER - CHENNAI, TAMILNADU, INDIA
^

Q. What is the usual or the standard zinc melt loss with 70/30 ratio of pure and scrap mixing.

Judelito Fernandez
metal technology - Cebu Philippines
^

"History of Zinc Smelting in Britain"

Affiliate Link
(your purchases make finishing.com possible)

A. Hi, BV. Hi, Judelito.

Your questions are out of my field of knowledge; I can't answer them myself, sorry! It looks to me like the extensive discussions on letter 12373 may be covering this topic, but I'm not sure.

As the website administrator for 60,000 topics here though, I can pretty confidently make the suggestion that the readers rarely respond to flash-card questions like those, but will respond if you personalize it with your own situation, and flesh out what you are doing, what kind of results you are getting, and where and in what ways you think it may be possible to do better. Best of luck.

^

2007

Q. I am looking for a flux for drossing of zinc melts so that recovery of Zn is good. Currently I am using commercially pure ammonium chloride but it is not serving my purpose.
What will be the effect of these fluxes on the furnace lining (currently fireclay )

Indrajit Bose
metallurgical - Bangalore, Karnataka, India
^

2007

A. Dear Indrajit,
Try 50% ammonium chloride and 50% zinc chloride. Please post your results.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota, USA
^

"Roasting, Leaching, Smelting, Electrometallurgy of Zinc"

Affiliate Link

Q. I am able to recover zinc from solution by electrowinning method, but I faced problem to melt down this secondary zinc. Why?

sazzad ahmad
Sazzad A.
Student - Dhaka, Bangladesh
^

Hi, Sazzad. Sorry but your inquiry is not understandable to me; maybe part of it didn't come through. What problem did you face in melting the zinc? Why what? Thanks.

^

Q. What are the melting losses of Zinc in Al-Zn-Cu Alloy
(Al-based alloy)?

Waqar Gilani
- Lahore, Pakistan
^

A. Hi Waqar. I've already said that I don't personally know the answers to such questions, but that I've found from many years of running the site that posing your question like a flash card quiz instead of describing your own situation is the best way to insure that readers will ignore it :-)

Hopefully someone will prove me wrong and answer you :-)

^