SILVER COATING ON AL

(-----) 2007

Hi. I have a question regarding to the process of Silver coating on AL. In our companny we are using pre-copper coating way but we heard that we could directly coat AL with silver. The main thought on this matter is the importance of AL alloys composants stability and one type of AL alloy is more inclined to this coating process.
I appreciated if you share your opinions and comments with me. With my letter I am not discussing on the process just the find out that it is feasible or not.
Thanks for your nswers.

Oguz ALANKAYA
Mechanical Engineer - Turkey
^

2007

Having spent several years silver-plating aluminium, I would say it is impossible to reliably plate the silver directly on to the aluminium - you need either a copper or nickel undercoat.

John Reid
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
^