Percent reflectane achieved by mechanicaly polishing aluminum 6061.

(-----) 2007

I am trying to produce a small reflector for a prototype and was wondering what is the percent reflectance of polished aluminum 6061. I understand 6061 is not the best alloy for a reflector that is to be anodized. If it is left un-anodized are there any disadvantages excluding hardness(scratch resistance) relating to the performance of a reflector.

Richard Iannucelli
Product Designer - San Francisco, California USA
^

2007

I don't know the percentage relectance although the ASM Metals Handbook does if I recall. But you have to anodize it. If you don't, it "anodizes" itself, beuilding an inconsistent blotchy film instead of a carefully controlled nearly transparent one.

^

2007

I don't know if your product allows it, but maybe a clear lacquer similar to what they use to coat vacuum deposited aluminum over reflecting surfaces in high volume applications.

^