Brass and aluminium gasket compatibility

(-----) 2007

I want to use a gasket Sealer to seal an aluminium gasket between an aluminium head and cast iron block. the Gasket Sealer contains brass as its active component.

Will this be fine or is there a chance of Galvanic corrosion? Once the gasket is in place likelihood of exposure to moisture is extremely low.

Clinton Palmer
Manufacturer - Johannesburg, South Africa
^

Hi, Clinton. I'm not experienced in gasket sealant technology, but unless the manufacturers instructions say it is okay for aluminum I would be concerned about that. Copper/brass seems to have a great capacity to cause aluminum to galvanically pit in many applications and I can't see offhand where this is different. Good luck.

^