Fireproof coating/paint for rebar rods

(-----) 2007

I am starting a business which will use rebar rods in a consumer environment. It will be exposed to very high heat (wood fire). Rebar by itself is ugly and rusts easily. I want to paint/coat it with a fireproof covering (preferably black). Or, even better (and this is a stretch), a glow in the dark, flame-proof coating.

Can anyone give me any ideas? I would greatly appreciate it.

Greg Bassine
mfgr. of secondary products - Tigard, Oregon
^

2007

Hi Greg,
As far as I know there are two types of coating, fire retardant and intumescent paints. Type these two names into Google to obtain a vast array of information and names of contacts who can supply the right product for your new project. Best of luck.

Terry Hickling
Birmingham, United Kingdom
^

2007

Porcelain coatings, although not actually paint, would be ideal for this. And if the re-bar is red hot they will glow :-)

But that's not something you can field apply, you would need to contract with a porcelaining jobshop.

^

I would like to paint rebar, it has been welded and will be outdoors (harsh weather, hot and cold). What kind of paint (applied with brush)?

Julie Donald
- Alamosa, Colorado
^

December , 2009

Hi, Julie. If this is a D-I-Y project, you will not be pretreating the re-bar by phosphatizing, so most paints will have little power to stop rusting. Therefore, I think you should apply a Zinc Chromate Primer [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] (cold galvanizing compound), as that will put a protective layer of zinc on the rebar to sacrificially protect it, then apply a Rust-oleum type paint in the color of your choice. Good luck.

^