-----

Anodizing of Galvanized Products

2000

I am involved in the galvanizing industry and recently read an article by Marce & Weisenburger on Anodizing of Galvanized products. I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with zinc anodizing and what they know about it. I would like to set up a small test area, but seek guidance. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, the article was from the Indian galvanizers association.

Jeremy Moffat
Sydney Australia

2000

Anodization of zinc is a process with tremendous advantages but which is, as far as I know, not very widely implemented yet.

The salt spray resistance of anodized zinc runs into the thousands of hours; the process has been used on die-cast washing machine parts. Perhaps the biggest problem with implementing it is that the voltages required are so much higher than for aluminum anodizing, somewhere in the 90 to 200 volt range, depending on application.

You can look into Fred Pearlstein's "Selection and Application of Inorganic Finishes, Part IV - Anodic Coatings for 'Other' Metals" as published in Plating & Surface Finishing, March 1979, p. 41-46 and into Mil spec A-81801.

2000

I believe CHN [Anodizing] in [Pawtucket] Rhode Island does anodizing on zinc.

David A. Kraft
- Long Island City, New York