-----

How to remove nickel plating from brass

2000

I have an old piece of scientific equipment that is brass with what I believe is a nickel plate finish. I wish to remove the nickel plating without damaging the brass surface. My question is whether there is a acid mixture which will accomplish this or whether electrolysis is necessary. I would prefer to simply dissolve the plating if possible and need to know the composition of the appropriate solution. I am a professional chemist and have access to any needed chemicals, the training to handle them and prepare solutions, and the means for safe disposal of the waste products. Thank you

Curtis T. Sears
Georgia State University - Atlanta, Georgia USA

2002

How can I nickel and chrome plating at home to supplement my income, thanks and God Bless America.

Len Hennigan
Disable Vet - Millbury, Massachusetts

2002

I wish I had words of encouragement for you, Mr. Hennigan, but you really need to look into some other occupation. Nickel-chrome plating is very capital intensive, and involves toxic and carcinogenic chemicals that require specialized exhaust systems, a wastewater treatment system, etc.