-----

Masking for HVOF

2000

I am need of reference material concerning masking of parts for HVOF. In particular, I have a shaft with oil ports that I need to cover during application of the HVOF. Is use of urethane plugs viable?

Douglas Duston
Air Force, WR-ALC/TINPT - Robins AFB, Ga, USA

2000

NO.

It melts below the temp of HVOF. You might get by with it on a low temp flame spray, but not plasma or HVOF.

There are high temp plugs that will suffice for a single use. You may have to use teflon, but I do not think so.

We have at times rolled flamespray tape up into a cylinder and stuffed that in the hole like a plug. If done well, it works.

You can use cast silicone to mask HVOF if you do not have to get closer then 3'' with your gun.

Gregg Caprez
Industrial Tech - Akron, Ohio