Polish Aluminum on curve surface

(2000)

How can I polish Aluminum or Aluminum Bronze into mirror finishing for curved surface? Like spherical shape?

Since this is only a scinece project, is it possible to get the mirror finishing by hand polishing?

Eric Leong
- Stony Brook, New York

(2002)

Yes you can obtain a mirror finish even on a curved surface. You will need to get several grades of sandpaper, I usually start with 80 then go to 200 then 400 then 800, finally 1200, then I use an aluminum polish such as Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. I know it sounds crazy to use sandpaper, but I have done wheels, turbo housings, intakes, and other aluminum parts with great success. There is almost no limit to the smoothness, but bear in mind even a small surface (valve cover) can take all day!

James K windland
- Washington, West Virginia, USA