-----

Chrome plated copper tubing for coffee machines, faucets and drinking fountains

2000

Hello. I cannot find U.S. or metric sized chrome plated copper tubing in the U.S. (or elsewhere). My company will soon be rebuilding the galley/kitchen on a small cruise ship and all exposed potable water tubing in the galley has to be chrome plated. Any leads as to where we can purchase this material would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jack Z [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
marine services - Miami, Florida, USA

I know I've seen what plumbers call "basin supplies" and "sink supplies" in chrome plated versions in plumbing supply stores. These are the 24" long (or so) copper tubes that run from the wall pipes to the underside of faucets and need a slight amount of flex for hookup.

But chromium plating is very brittle and inflexible, so I don't think you will find any chrome plated tubing on reels for bending and fitting on the job. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

I work for a company that does this kind of work. With chrome plated copper, it is best to have a drawing which calls out the bends that you need, what type of fittings you need at each end, then have the parts made per your drawings. Chrome plating is the last process that is done to the parts.

Binh Pham
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA