topic 44569 p.2

F.B. Rogers Tea Set -- Is It Silver Plate or Sterling Silver?

page     1     2

Q. I read all questions/answers but questions about F.B. Rogers with no CROWN LOGO or 1883, were not addressed.

I have a tea set with just "F.B. Rogers" but there's not a crown logo, 1883 or indication of silver, although I did find out F.B. Rogers DID have some silver pieces (118, 142, 144, 149, etc. Here is the link to the website with the information - www.replacements.com/silver/FBR.htm)

I've been in business for over 20 years and know that some companies do not come up with a logo until later years, so I'm wondering if this may be one of the original sets. I'm not questioning whether silver or silver-plated, just as to how old this set may really be, considering no insignia!

Thanks for your time!

Kathy Newhouse
- Arlington, Texas, USA

Q. I am moving and trying to "let go" of many things collected over the years. I came upon this site and have read all of the postings.

It seems to me that since there are so many different markings and not one uniform mark, that it would verify that these items are not expensive or valuable.

My item falls under that category also. I have a 12.5" round platter. One the front is what I think is a family crest. It has three animals (maybe deer). The middle animal is sitting on something that looks like a badge that the other two are holding up. Under all of that is a ribbon, and inside the ribbon it says (I think) MAJOR AB ADVERSIS. On the back is the King's Crown. At the top and on each side of the Crown it says TRADE MARK. At the bottom of the Crown and on each side it says 18 83. Then under the Crown it says F.B.ROGERS SILVER CO. Under that it says SILVER ON COPPER. Finally, under that it says 1914.

What is your opinion? Thanks.

Jackie Altvater
- Taneytown, Maryland, USA

Q. I have an F B ROGERS chaffing tray holder, appears very old. It has on each leg, inside, 1844 stamped. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ron Epperson
- West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

A. Hi Ron. 1844 was the year Rogers was founded, not the year your tray was made. If it doesn't say "sterling", it's not worth anything. Sorry. You might look at letter 36471, "Testing Silver at Home for the Average Consumer", especially the October 23 posting, with the youtube video, "What to Do with Plated Silver".

Q. I have a collection of flatware which appears to had it's silver plating removed. It's stamped 1847 ROGERS BROS and lacks any detail so it appears one could've used steel wool to rub off the silver plate. The stamped area is lower yet shows no silver plating either. Could the old plating just worn away and/or flaked off when immersed in boiling water?

Bill Wilson
- Longview, Texas, USA

A. Hi Bill. Boiling water would not remove silver plating.

Beyond that, there really isn't much to say because the silver may or may not still be there (although it does sound unlikely that there is silver left if all the detail is worn away), and nobody can possibly speculate accurately about what some unknown person may have done at some unknown time in the past. Good luck.

Q. My tray also has a red sticker that say F.B. Rogers silver company Taunton, Mass. Does this give it a time?

Lee VanHouten
- grand junction Colorado usa

A. Hello Lee. Rogers moved to Taunton in 1866, so it doesn't mean anything except that the piece is not from before 1866. Unless it is stamped "Sterling", it isn't. And if it isn't, it's value is almost surely approximately zero. Sorry, but there is nobody who wants this stuff, and there is an awful lot of it available. My wife has several such silver plated trays in the attic. In fact I don't think I know anyone "of a certain age" who doesn't except those who finally threw it away :-(

Q. Following the discussion of FB Rogers silverplate I have a small oval footed dish with "Made in Denmark"" stamped on it. It appears to have an anodized green surface in the bowl. It reminds me of the anodized aluminum containers from the 1950's. My question: is that the process they used to make the color in the bowl, or is it a coating of green glass? And is there any significance that it was made in Denmark?

Carol Self
- Port Hadlock, Washington

Q. I have a silver tea set with FB Rogers stamped on the bottom, in the middle, but that's it; no other markings, block letters. Also had a small inspection tag. Its not magnetic and there is copper underneath, I can tell. Currently it needs polishing, was purchased in the mid 70's. Can you help? Was this an actual FB Rogers stamp?

Norris Harward
- Dublin, California

A. Hi Norris. Sorry, but that stuff is silverplate and it's worth almost nothing whether it's real or counterfeit. Simply, there are millions of people with this stuff in their attic and virtually nobody who wants any of it.

Q. I now possess a bowl with Paul Revere BF Rogers Silver Co.
6 Reproduction. Do I have something that I need to get an insurance appraisal on? It also has the 1883 on it yet I found that is when the company started. Thank you for answering this question for me.

Sue Rinehart-Schulz
- Ford, Washington USA

I have a silverplate teapot with the markings F.B. Rogers Silver Co.
Above, the words TRADE MARK are on either side of a cross in an arch above a crown with 18 and 63 on either side. Does the age of this teapot, add to its' value, or is still $15-$30? What is the best way to clean silver plate, including darkened areas? Thanks for your patience in answering all of our questions.

Erika Burke
- San Francisco, California

thumbs up signHi folks. Sure, there's a chance that one in a million of these items is worth something, just as there's a chance that one in a million discarded lottery tickets you see in a wastepaper basket is worth something. But although people have referred you to a lot of sources and routes that you can study if you want to invest that much time, experience clearly shows that nobody is going to do that investment of time for you, so I'm not seeing much point in continuing to post such markings. I don't want to be rude, but you're wasting your time.

The best way to clean silver plate is with aluminum foil or an aluminum "silver cleaning plate" and washing soda as explained in letter 4785. You may need to finish up with silver polish, but don't do the heavy cleaning with polish because it removes silver whereas the aluminum cleaning plate converts silver tarnish back to silver.

! If you have 1883 F B ROGERS SILVER with crown hallmark you should be able to make out the word quadruple. Which meant it was silver plated 4 times. After the early 1900's they stopped plating in quadruple silver. And went to just silver plated which has considerably less silver on it.

Olivia McGuire
- New haven, Connecticut USA

A. Quadruple plate contained 8 tr.oz. of silver plate per gross (144 pieces) of teaspoons. The plating was about 1.2 mils thick (.0012"). In 1975, quadruple plate was still being produced, mainly for places like hotel restaurants.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri, USA

Q. I have a question for you guys. I have a creamer and sugar set that has the crown and all the markings like it should. However my set says 12 oz and 13 oz on each. Mean anything?

Ria ott
- sun prairie, Wisconsin

Hi Ria. I'll bet the one holds 12 ounces and the other holds 13 ounces.

Q. F B ROGERS STERLING SILVER TRAY WITH 18 TO LEFT AND 83 TO RIGHT OF CROWN. WHAT IS THE VALUE OF SUCH AN ITEM. IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION BUT IT NEEDS POLISHING.

NAY DAUD
COLLECTOR - PHOENIX, ARIZONA, USA

A. Hi Nay. Any "We buy gold" store will test that it is sterling (which is very unlikely unless it is so marked), weigh it, and give you the current value of the melted down silver. If you are sure that it is sterling, you could list it on e-bay ... but remember that the prices you see on e-bay are primarily what stuff is not selling for, rather than what it is selling for :-)

Q. Hi. I am a resident of the UK, Ashton Under Lyne near Manchester in Lancashire. I have in my possession a FB Rogers Creamer and Sugar Bowl with lid that I purchased from a charity shop a few years ago. I have just decided to look up the stamp. FB ROGERS intaglio stamp. And then in a fainter stamp FB ROGERS, Silverplated. USA on the creamer and vice verser on the sugar bowl.

I chanced upon this thread and read through whether or not I would be quids in. Alas it seems this be not the case. It would be interesting to find out when exactly it was made to give a clear view of their period.

Regardless of their worthlessness, if what I read here is correct, there is no doubt I have a couple of bonny trinkets for the old den!

Kind regards

Andrew Craven
- Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire, UK

A. Hi Andrew. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like and proudly displaying it :-)

The problems only arise when ..
1. people assume that silverplate must be a valuable rarity because they rarely see it ... when the actual situation is more like such items are stored in every second attic in the country because this once popular look is out of fashion.
2. they assume that silverplate must have significant intrinsic metal value because, after all, there is silver in the plating ... not recognizing that the plating is very very thin and recovering the silver is more costly than its value.

Liking it is fine; expecting to make money selling it, not so much :-)