Lining of electroplating bath

(2007)

My name is Olasupo. I am a Research and Development Officer with a research institute. I am posed with the task of fabricating an electroplating bath which can be handled with ease. I am now left with how to line the bath with fibre glass or polypropylene. I need the technology explained to me. Thank you

Olasupo Ogundare
Product Design Engineer - Akure Ondo State NIgeria

(2007)

Hi Olasupo,

PP or fibreglass. H'm. Both are different materials, both have advantages and disadvantages. Both NEED to be made by professionals except that, perhaps, FRP is apparently easier to instal to the uninitiated. PP cannot be bonded to the tank. FRP, presuming a sand blasted surface, should initially bond to the tank.

Forget completely using Epoxies.

FRP is made using isothallic (boat) resins or Polyesters (acids) or Vinyl esters (good in alkalies as well). You should be able to get advice from the suppliers.

PP is, unlike FRP, a homogenous product which needs trained people to fabricate successfully ... and if you put a well made PP liner in a well sized tank, due to the operating temperature you might encounter, failure may occur due to its far higher coefficient of thermal expansion. Something like 8.5 to 3.2 per degree F.

Please go to the archives and have a gander at #6775, #7132 and #8691.