We have a large qty of copper parts with Silver contact brazed on it. At present, we heat the piece to remove the silver piece but it is time consuming. Is there a quicker way to remove the silver before sending it it for refining?Zul Kassam
Mfg of Forklift Parts - Toronto, Canada
There are processes that would be less time consuming, but you have to consider the whole spectrum of silver stripping, the only alternative method I know of.
1) Setting up the process for silver strip.
2) The purchase, storage and handling of hazardous and dangerous chemicals.
3) Storing the silver bearing strip.
4) Shipping the strip solution to a refiner.
5) Paying the process and or disposal fees to the refiner would leave you with little or no return.
As you can see removing the silver from the copper would be faster with a chemical strip, but more time consuming in the long run. The price of silver these days makes it hard to receive any money from chemical stripping. Good Luck!
Process Engineer - Syracuse, New York
Can you explain, how to remove silver coating on Kovar metal. We braze window to flange and there was overbraze of silver.
- Fremont, California, USA
January 12, 2008
Zul, dissolve everything in hydrochloric acid, it will dissolve the copper but not the silver.Juan Manuel Arcos
- Pachuca, Mexico
This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site