-----

"DC Charge lost during PVD TiAIN Coating. Effect?"

Current question:

Q. I was running a PVD Coating batch and the Anode (Substrate) lost its DC charge during the etching and coating steps. The thickness, hardness, and adhesion of the coating are all within spec. The only difference I see is the color of the coating. What effect has this had on the coating? Will it still perform? The coating is TiAlN.

Rayson Arce
- Greenwood, Indiana
^

? It is not clear what you exactly mean by "Anode (Substrate) lost its DC charge during... ". How do you measure the "charge" and how do you know it is lost? Normally a DC voltage is applied to the substrates. The power supply would display the voltage applied and the current drawn. What is the nature of the substrate - metallic or glass or plastic ? What type of PVD machine you are using ?

H.R. Prabhakara - Consultant
bangaloreplasmatek.com - Bangalore Karnataka India
^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

"Handbook of Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) Processing"
by Donald Mattox

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com may earn commission)

2006

Q. I'm currently being tasked with developing an in-house spec for PVD TiAlN. Is there a standard for PVD TiAlN? I'm looking for something similar to the TiN AMS2444 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] standard.

David C. Kirt
Orthopaedics - Minneapolis, Minnesota, US
^