-----

Search for small scale black oxide equipment

2000

We manufacture automation equipment and coat many of our parts using black oxide although by industry standards the volume is pretty low, perhaps 10-15 gallons worth of parts per week. We currently send them out for processing, which takes several days due to transit times. I am trying to locate manufacturers of small scale black oxide lines to request information/quotations from.

Phil Cyr
- Danielson, Connecticut

First of two simultaneous responses-- 2000

Normally I would say to look in the metal finishing guidebook. You can buy an old one at this site, or you can get one with a subscription to the metal finishing magazine [Ed. note: sorry, Metal Finishing ceased publication in 2013]. It is an excellent resource.

Look in the vendor section of this site. One of the top three Mfg's. of this product is here with a link. All solution vendors have equipment or suggested equip vendors. I would definitely do some cost comparisons on the equipment,first, making sure that it is similar.

Ted does not like me to say this, but look in the Thomas Register. Many vendors listed, but no information.

The equipment is not rocket science. I made mine out of used and scrap parts. It does require very good exhaust. Hot black oxide is DANGEROUS! The main problem is adding water to a solution that is 75 degrees above the boiling point of water. Done wrong, it can virtually explode.

Second of two simultaneous responses-- 2000

hello phil. many times I have had small quantities of parts to process and it was not economical to fire up our line. we bought a sturdy electric hot plate, 1 gal size stainless steel beaker (or pot), made up the black oxide (1/2 way in the container) and processed the parts under the lab fume hood. full face and clothing protection was worn of course, had a lab sink right there for rinsing. made up a cleaner tank under the hood before black step. there are cold black treatments available that are proprietary.

Bill Hemp
tech svc. w/ chemical supplier - Grand Rapids, Michigan

2000

Hello ,

Many years ago , our company purchased a tabletop room temp black oxide system for proccessing some limited toolroom items in house. Cost was very reasonable , and thoughteh manufacturer name slips my mind , I have seen many advertisements in the trade jounals for room temp black ox , which I assume is the same process. This is a system of 5 gallon buckets , and 1 metal bucket on a hotplate. hope this helps ...

Ron Landrette
plating equipment supplier - Bristol, Connecticut