Need advice on Finishing/Protecting steel

(2000)

Hello, I need advise on how best to finish and protect steel table-tops I am making for a restaurant. Any process or product information is appreciated. I am looking for a way to make the metal look somewhat dark/aged (black oxide?) and then provide a protective coating which can resist rusting/cleaning and the everyday abuse of restaurant use. Appreciate any response as I need HELP!

Robert T. Parker
Juniper Designs - Norfolk, Virginia USA

(2000)

The process you describe will work and could be done relatively locally.

Black oxide is normally oiled, so your painter would have to be moderately close by.

Consider a zinc phosphate and lacquer, possibly colored.

For long term durability, I would investigate powder coating with an antiquing finish. It is mind boggling what they can do with powder now.