a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedAdvertizeForum

Need the best product to protect Cast Iron Cookware that has been stripped to bare metal

(2006)

Q. I have had my mother's cast iron pots cleaned to bare metal. (Note: her home was flooded in Katrina. After sitting in salty oily water for over a month they were a mess.) WHAT IS THE BEST PRODUCT TO RUB ON THE BARE CAST IRON POTS FOR PROTECTION?

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Cheryl

Cheryl Goodart
homeowner - Houston, Texas

(2006)

A. Probably bacon grease or Crisco, Cheryl, and then into the oven with them. See letter 4988.

Q. I have a set of cast iron cookware that went through the flood in Texas. What can be done to make this safe to use again.

Daniel Harvey
- Vidor, Texas United States

A. Hi Daniel. I'd probably fill them with water and boil it for 15 minutes or more, then I'd scrub them down carefully with steel wool and detergent -- probably twice. Then start re-seasoning them per above. Best of luck.

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

Jobshops  Capital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & ConsumablesConsult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices