-----

Etchant chemicals used for brass

2000

I need to know what chemical(s), and where to get them, to use as an etchant for standard cartridge brass.

I am trying to develop a lithography technique to etch deep (1/32" to 1/16" deep) designs into thick brass plates. I would ideally like an etchant that is fairly fast acting (but that's not critical), and has a surface tension such that keeps it from wicking up onto walls when in small cavities (much more critical).

BTW, if anyone knows of a material that "preferably" comes in rod form, is machinable or formable, is not electrically conductive, but is heat conductive, and can withstand extremely high heat temperatures, please let me know (like, what is that stuff on the exterior of electric stove grills?). Yep, it's for the same project ;-).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give on either of these.

Pat Lamusga
- Browerville, Minnesota, USA