-----

Chrome window trim to black

2000

Pardon me if this is off base, but you seem to be the experts. I have chrome window trim on my car; is there an effective means of turning this into black via anodizing or powder coat? As you would guess, I am ignorant of these processes; the cost of black trim alone is a cool G. Would a workable process be cheaper - or not?

My thanks, John S.

John Sandford
- Grand Haven, Michigan USA

2000

Decorative 'chrome plated' items are actually nickel plated first, then a thin flash of chrome is plated on. Paint does not stick to chrome; you're right, you have to strip it off. It's easy to do with Muriatic Acid [affil link] , but not necessarily safe to do unless you are properly equipped and properly trained.

The nickel is next to impossible for a layman to remove, but I think you'll be able to get paint or powder coating to stick to it.