Adding strength to finished aluminum bicycles parts

(-----) 2006

My name is Jef Berlin. I am a former US cyclist that is now working with juniors in training. It has come to my attention that some bicycles parts due to their design fail prematurely and the results can be catastrophic.

Here is a photo of a failed hub.

What process could be used to one of these finished pieces (but not assembled) to give it strength?

It would be nice to end up with the mirror polish finish but adding tensile strength is more important.

Thanks for any help.

Jef Berli
metal finishing - Dallas, Texas
^

2006

Strength can come from a better alloy or a thicker part. It is somewhat possible that a larger overall diameter could add strength, but all of these require a custom made part. You might get away with a stainless doubler plate, but this would have to be made also.
I would send a picture of the failed part to the manufacturer with a notation that the rider was minorly hurt and that you need to prevent a major hurt on your riders. Ask for their assistance in preventing a serious accident. Have it notarized and keep a copy. Send it registered mail. I think that they will get the picture without overt threats, and fix the problem.

^