Plating wood with tin-antimony

(-----) 2006

I have a project where I am making "magic wands." I purchased a cast iron pot and three pounds of 95% tin 5% antimony solder, and melted the first pound in the pot. I am using short driftwood sticks for the wands. I learned the hard way that the metal will not stick to the wood. Is there something I can apply to the wood to get the tin alloy to stick to it? I just want to dip the ends and have them come out shod.

Tony Hellmann
Hobbyist - Seattle, Washington, USA
^

2006

Maybe you could wrap several turns of wire around the stick before dipping it? Copper wire is readily available in any gauge you like, and the vinyl or teflon insulation is easily removed with wire strippers, leaving a surface that is active enough for soldering like this.

^