NICKEL PLATING USING DC BATTERIES

(-----) 2006

My name is Tom Dillander and operate a small record pressing operation (complete with a cutting machine, plating operation and record press)......my problem is that my DC generator has went on the blink, and may take several days or weeks to get fixed and someone suggested that I hook up 1 or 2 "marine" batteries to provide my current. I need 6 volts to produce 100 amps(I start out with 2-3 amps for the dummy plate" to remove impurities, then go to 25 amps for pre plating for 30 minutes, then up to 50 amps while the plating tank is reaches 120 degrees and then go to 100 amps for 2 hours to complete the plating process......

Is this feasible and how would I hook it up?

Tom Dillander
records - Shepherdsville, Kentucky, USA
^

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2006

While possible I don't see it as really doable. Based upon the time and current demands you would need a number of batteries (peak cranking power is only for very short periods, long term amperage ratings are much lower)chargers, and a control circuit. A different choice might be to investigate purchasing a new or used DC rectifier as a backup or replacement for your generator. Generators are rarely used in this country today. I would presume parts and qualified repair technicians are hard to come by. If this operation is critical to your business you need to purchase some redundancy and a rectifier could give you that.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York
^

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2006

Voltage and thus amperage will have to be controlled via a calculated set of electric resistances or a variable resistor placed in line (series connection) with your feed cable. This will develop considerable heat and low efficiency of your battery set. You will need a voltage and an amp meter on your bus bar to complete your fixture. Too messy in my opinion. How do you plan to recharge the batteries? They will go dead fast. Can't you get a rectifier for rent?

^