RoHS Generic Questions

(-----) 2006

I've been tasked with identifying/certifying that our product is RoHS compliant. Specifically I own all the mechanical parts that go into our product. The more I dig into this requirement, the more concerned I become. Does any one know of a book that helps identify potential hazards? I wouldn't have even thought about passivation being a problem until I read one of your posts.

Generic Questions

Is Clear Chromate RoHS compliant?
At the end of the day, regardless of what I discover, isn't the burden still on my supply chain to prove that they are RoHS complaint?

Shawn Walker
- Liberty Lake, Washington
^

2006

Clear Chromate may or may not be RoHS compliant - it depends on which type of chemical your supplier uses.

As to whose liability it is... I'm not a laywer and wouldn't even try to hazard a guess.

But, your suppliers undoubtably know their product better than you can or should - ask them and get them to certify to it. And, if at this point they aren't aware of what RoHS is, consider finding suppliers that CAN certify to it.

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.
Compton, California, USA
accurate anodizing banner
^

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2006

The color of the conversion coating has no bearing on whether it is RoHS compatible (trivalent) or not. However, many RoHS compliant coatings are blue/clear. A typical rule of thumb guide to RoHS compliance is that the part or the finish on the part should not contain heavy metals e.g. hexavalent chromium, cadmium, lead, etc. There are some exceptions and exemptions (i.e. some solders).

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York
^

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2006

Try this web site for some advise and links to further information (this is the UK specific site but the general rules apply across the European Union):

http://www.rohs.gov.uk/

Hope this helps, but will expect a hundred more questions after you've read it!

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK
^