What is "TDC chrome plating"?

(-----) 2006

What is TDC chrome plating? I believe it (TDC) stands for thin density chrome and is a gray or semi-gloss silver color chrome. I believe it is mostly used in the industrial sense. I have never heard of TDC plating until a short time ago. I look forward to your reply.

Lance Barker
hobbyist - Westminster, South Carolina
^

2006

The term "Thin Dense Chrome" was originally a hoax, sold as a chrome deposit which was denser than metallic chrome, however the term was incorporated in many specifications over the years. It is now understood as a surface which has been lightly glass bead blasted or vapor honed and then plated with a thin (.0001" or so) layer of conventional hard chrome. The blasting causes the surface to have a dull/grayish color.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina
^