Women welding zinc

(-----) 2006

I am a female welder and am currently considering accepting a job welding galvanized steel. I am aware that any fumes are not good for you, but are the galvanized worse than others. I am also worried it could do something to my reproductive system. I am 32 and am pushing it to begin with. Not having any children right now but might want to in a few years. If any of you guys having any info that could help me make my decision I would be very grateful. hopefully somebody out there will see this. stay safe!

Danielle DeCarmine
Welder - Burlington, VT
^

2006

Galvanized steel means steel that has been hot dipped with a coating of zinc. Yes, this is worse than plain steel. Everyone admits that exposure to the fumes from welding zinc causes "metal fume fever". The argument is whether this condition, which passes in a few days, carries a longer term risk. Most say no, zinc is a normal part of the diet. Others remain concerned. But "There is no information in the literature regarding the effects of long-term exposure to zinc oxide fumes." [American Welding Society]. Another issue is that a dianosis of metal fume fever can be incorrectly reached when the problem is something more serious like cadmium pneumonitis.

There are many letters on this site about the subject if you patiently apply the search engine, and they offer links to authoritative discussions of the subject. Please start with letter 25268.

^