Muriatic acid and skin contact

(2006)

We have just returned from vacation, on one morning the pool maintenance crew were power washing around the pool (prior to guest coming down) My husband did ask what he was using and if it was bleach, the gentleman said that he was using bleach in some areas and Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] in others. I noticed 2 days later that my feet, ankles & legs were swelling. I did have to go to my Doctor upon returning from this trip, but only thought about this acid today, and was wondering what it does when it come in contact with skin in a diluted form, and if this is why my legs and feet are so swollen.

Thank you for your time.

Phillis Martin
housewife - Zebulon, North Carolina

(2006)

If they were using both bleach and muriatic acid, the applications would have had to be quite far from each other because mixing them would generate clouds of yellow chlorine gas.

Neither bleach nor muriatic acid are good for you, but I'd give about 1000 to 1 odds that muriatic acid has nothing to do with your situation, and I'm reasonably confident that, unless your doctor expressed puzzlement to you, that your having told him/her about the acid would not have changed the diagnosis.