Preserving rust iron decoration

(-----) 2006

I have a 2'x2' flat, decorative iron piece that I would like to hang on the wall in my home. However, it is quite rusty and if I hang it as is--it will likely rub rust all over my wall. I want to preserve the rustiness for character. Is there an easy way to seal the rust, so it no longer progresses AND (more importantly) does not come off on my wall?

Kevin Walter
Hobbyist - Fitchburg, Wisconsin
^

2006

Spray some Krylon clear coating on it and put some felt bumpers on the back to keep it from touching the wall. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and the "chain" that holds the rust onto the object will still include a weak link between the object and the rust.

^