Do we need sealing after coloring of hard anodized parts?

(-----) 2006

Is it important to seal after coloring of hard anodized parts. I have a design requirement that prevents me from sealing. However I need the parts to be colored for identification. I am confused. please help.

G. Muralidharan
steering systems - Chennai, TamilNadu, India
^

2006

Colored coatings should be sealed for lightfastness and to prevent absorption of stains and dirt. But hard anodized coatings are usually not sealed because it softens the coating.

As a guideline for your situation, it is reasonably common to dye "Type 2-1/2" hard coatings and leave them unsealed. I'd say you can dye the parts for identification without sealing -- although they will be subject to absorbing stains and dirt. If you are able provide further details of your situation hopefully we can probably answer better. Thanks.

^