Etchant for stainless to reveal intergranular cracking

(-----) 2006

What is the easiest way to determine if 316L stainless steel tubing has intergranular cracking on the surface?

I'd prefer a simple etchant that would reveal slight cracking without the need to mount and polish a sample.

Thanks Kindly

Craig Tupelo
Stainless Tubular Products - Oxnard, Calif, USA
^

2006

I found it to be difficult to determine, even with polishing and etching. I do not think that there is any way that it could be positively determined with a simple etch.

^

2006

There is a method known as dye check that is used to find out visible craks in steels but you cannot use it at microscopic levels. I would try inspecting the metal under a microscope as is. But at least you will have to mount it and polish it.

^