Change finish from black to dark bronze

(-----) 2006

I ordered a foyer light on-line and it said that it was an oil rubbed bronze finish, but when I received it, I found it is definitely black. What product(s) can I use to change it to something that resembles oil rubbed bronze?

Thanks so much,

Jeanette Pilch
hobbyist - Glendale, Arizona, USA
^

2006

It isn't clear why you can't return it and get what you want. Any home attempt to do oil rubbed bronze will be a kluge, but I guess I'd apply copper paint and then paint it with a brown translucent antiquing solution, rubbing it thin at the wear points.

But before I did that, as long as I was repainting it anyway, I'd very lightly sand or 0000 steel wool [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] the wear points and see if I could get any bronze or copper color to shine through.

^