Can aluminum be colored?

(-----) 2006

Is it possible to color aluminum, not just on the surface? I am asking because I have an idea that could possibility become a successful invention. I am not a professional, but I am also not a crank. I hope that someone will respond to me or point me in a direction which might help me in my quest. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Darcy Ann Moore
Private Individual - Tucson, Arizona, USA
^

2006

In general it's not possible to color metals all the way through because dyes won't hold up to the casting temperatures and might interfere with the integrity of the casting or extrusion. But dyed anodized coatings can be quite tough. It might also be possible to apply powder metallurgy in a useful way. It is unfortunately almost always impossible to usefully answer impossibly vague questions, Darcy.

^