Co-deposition of nickel and silicon carbide/Ni and aluminum oxide on copper substrate by electroplating

(-----) 2006

I want to co-deposit Nickel and silicon carbide particles on copper substrate by electroplating.For Nickel I, am going to use Watts bath. My question is whether Nickel and silicon carbide should be mixed before plating and if yes,then what will be the wetting agents for reducing the contact angle for complete wetability. Also I need literature on the subject .Please suggest the possible references and the processing steps to co-deposit nickel with silicon carbide.It will be an immense help for me and I will ever be grateful for anticipation.

Pallavi Nigam
non ferrous technology development centre, Hyderabad - Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
^

2006

The best place to start, I think, is with a patent search, Pallavi. This will reveal the ways it has been done and will also reveal the ways you are not allowed to do it. In general, thixotropic agents can be added to the bath to help suspend the particles and/or a fluidized bed can be maintained to keep them in suspension.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you license the process from one of the several companies that know how to do it and who may have rights to the method. Good luck.

^

2006

DEAR SIR,
I USED WATTS BATH AND HAD MIXED ABOUT ONE VOLUME % OF ALUMINA POWDER WITH THE HELP OF SURFACTANT-SODIUM LAURYL SULPHATE.NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHETHER THIS WILL AFFECT THE PROCESS POSITIVELY OR NOT.ALSO I WANT TO KNOW THE CLEANING STEPS FOR CATHODE COPPER AND OTHER PROCESS PARAMETERS.I AM THANKFUL TO YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

PALLAVI NIGAM
non ferrous technology development centre,hyderabad - Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
^

2006

Dear Sir,
I had successfully co-deposited Ni/Al2O3. Now I want to co-deposit SiC with Ni. Please let me know the processing parameters for the process. I want to whether size of SiC particles will affect deposition and if yes, then how?

Pallavi Nigam
^

I've told you what I can, Pallavi. Unlike some other types of plating that are pretty generic by now, nickel silicon carbide plating still involves trade secrets. You need to either license the technology as previously mentioned, or start with the patents and develop it yourself. People are not going to reveal their trade secrets for free in a public forum accessible to the world. Good luck.

^