Authoritative Answers, Fun, & Aloha -- no cost, no passwords, no popups
(as an eBay Partner & Amazon Affiliate we earn from qualifying purchases)

Home /
Site 🔍
pub     mobile?
Metal finishing Q&As since 1989


Want to paint a golf cart body

I want to paint this body but can't figure out what it is made of. The golf cart people call it armor flex, it looks like the same material they make the bumpers covers on cars out of.

Any ideas, Thanks Johnny

Johnny Milam
master mech. - Kannapolis, North Carolina

I would guess it's made of fiberglass, but call an auto paint refinishing store and ask them how to paint armor flex. If the paint guys ask "armor-what?" you'll know that you got the brush-off by the golf cart guys.

Sheldon Taylor
Sheldon Taylor
supply chain electronics
Wake Forest, North Carolina


I am trying to do the same thing. Have you had any luck determining what type of material the body is made out of?

Jason Cunningham
- Suwanee, Georgia

ArmorFlex is a trademark, apparently owned by Club Car, for an injection-molded polymer. The color runs all the way through, and they also claim ultraviolet protection, but it isn't clear whether this is via coating the plastic or due to an ingredient that is molded in.

It is not easy to get good adhesion on these polymers, especially when there is flexing, but I suppose I would try something like Bulldog Tie Coat [affil links], or a made-for-plastic paint like Krylon Fusion [on eBay or Amazon (adv.)] .

Ted Mooney,
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha - Pine Beach, New Jersey

I am wanting to paint my golf cart also. Before applying the products suggested is there any prep work required or can you just paint over the existing paint?

K Edens
- Peachtree City, Georgia

If a previous layer of paint has good adherence it should be left in place. Note that if your cart is ArmorFlex it is tinted plastic, not painted, as previously noted.

Ted Mooney,
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha - Pine Beach, New Jersey

February 16, 2009

I'm trying to obtain information as to which paint to use on a fiber glass golf cart body that I am repairing. I also need to know what type of primer paint to use prior to the color coat. I have spent hours and hours repairing a crashed golf cart and am about ready to prepare the surface for the painting process.
Will you inform me what type of primer paint as well as color coat? I want to end up with a matalic appearance. The color that I want to use is burnt orange after my University of Texas color.

Thank you

Jose De Luna
- San Diego, California

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)

Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread -or- Start a NEW Thread

Disclaimer: It's not possible to fully diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations might be harmful.

If you are seeking a product or service related to metal finishing, please check these Directories:

Chemicals &
& Software

About/Contact  -  Privacy Policy  -  ©1995-2024, Pine Beach, New Jersey, USA  -  about "affil links"