Breathe easy! No registration or passwords -- nothing to hack.
... and no maddening pop-up, sticky, or floating ads :-)

-----

Need help repairing ring with great sentimental value!

2006

My beloved grandmother passed away six months ago. She always wore a ring, which is just costume jewelry (electroplated to look like white gold). Many memories are associated with this ring, and it has great sentimental value for me. I desperately want to wear it, but I have an allergy to nickel, and break out in a rash shortly after having it on. I would like to have the band replaced with a real gold band (or sterling silver) so that I can wear the ring. I have taken it to several jewelers, but all three have said that they cannot put a new band on the ring, as heating the electroplated metal will cause the entire face of the ring to melt. One suggested that I try putting nail polish (or a commercial product that is a similar paint-on coating) on the band, but that works only for a few days, and then I have the rash back. I'm hoping that someone may have a solution - it would mean so much to me to be able to wear the ring!

Jennifer Adams

2006

A plating shop which does gold can apply a heavy gold electroplate, which may solve your problem. If they will apply, say, 100 millionths of an inch, it will last quite a long time before it wears through.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

adv.:    Discover the choice made by manufacturers
nationwide for high quality jewelry plating & finishing

red sky plating banner

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)