Vacuum Metallizing of Paper?

(1999)

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone out there had any experience of vacuum metallizing paper substrates?

I am interested in knowing which papers give the best finish, and what are the critical requirements of the paper.

The sort of details which would be helpful would be: What should the moisture content be? Kaolin or carbonate in the coating? What particle size for the pigment? What is the best latex to use / avoid? What surface or volume resistivity values for best performance?

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise me as to where I might get answers to these, as I am keen to understand the demands of the process.

Yours sincerely

David Owen
- UK

(2001)

We are also interested in vacuum coatings on paper.

Did you receive any answer?

We are looking for a research project in this field.

Best regards

Vasco Teixeira
University of Minho - Braga, PORTUGAL

(2001)

Paper metallizing systems are commercially available for at least a decade. Sheldahl in Northfield, MN, has done some of the pioneering work in the 1970s and 1980s, and is known to sell such systems. There are others but I do not recall the names.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

Paper metallizing is currently done on a large scale commercial basis in South Arica, whereby we supply the primer and topcoat (water-based)

Marc Black
- Durban, KZN, South Africa