-----

"Treating a steel goldpan"

2005

What can I do to treat my goldpan to stop it from rusting so quick ?

Judith Trottier
nil - Fort St John , BC, Canada
^

2005

I would try to age it the way folks age their cast iron cooking pans.

Coat the pan with cooking oil, and heat it in a 400 degree F oven until the oil smokes. Let it cool by turning off the oven. Do this several times and it may help. If you can heat it outside, try some Linseed Oil [affil. link to info/product at Rockler]. I don't know if panning will scrap this coating off in a hurry.

You can wipe the pan will oil after each use before storing. WD-40 [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] is a water displacing oil that may be the best solution.

tom pullizzi animated    tomPullizziSignature
^

2005

Do not oil a goldpan- you will defeat it's purpose.
If it IS oiled invert it over a fire to remove the oil before use. I carry a plastic pan- my choice- but you might be able to retard rust if you gun metal blue the pan: Dixie gun works and others sell cold blueing products. Good luck.

R.W.Rexford
- Seattle, Washington, USA
^