-----

"How to paint polyethylene waterfowl decoys"

2005

I'm in the process of starting my own decoy making business. Is there company that will make me my own custom dull paints that will not shine on sunny days. Also is there a type of process that will make paint bond to polyethylene.Which would be the easiest way for me to go.

Hunter lara
hobbyist - Needville, Texas, United States
^

2005

Hi Hunter,

Firstly, I was never in the painting field, only in plastics.

There is a process of making Pe suitable for plating ... and, I'd expect, painting but it's expensive.

Normally, nothing really sticks to Pe ... but consider some options. a) paint the entire bird .... the paint will then shrink onto it b) then 'paint' the paint with the colours you want to use c) all paints shrink a little but two component paints will shrink beautifully to around l0% and they'd give you a tight fit, wouldn't they? Why don't
you ask your local paint supplier for some advice ... but if your decoys are made of thin Pe, the paint could come off ... so I'd ask the store for a flexible paint.

Freeman Newton [dec]
(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

^