-----

"Getting a pattern onto stainlss steel"

2005

I am doing visual arts for one of my hsc subjects and am currently in year 12, for part of my art major I wish to get the pattern of an islamic prayer rug which I have designed onto a piece of stainless steel which is in the shape of the rug. I have considered photographic screen printing, or engraving, but cannot find sufficient info on them or other methods of doing this.
It would be much appreceated if you could send some info or suggest some solutions.

Anna H.
Shearwater Steiner School - Mullum, NSW, Australia
^

2005

Look into dye sublimation, Anna. I am not an expert and haven't even done it myself, but it sounds like what you need. Your pattern is printed onto paper with an inkjet printer, but the ink cartridges use sublimatable ink. That means when you heat the paper, the ink will vaporize (sublimate) and be absorbable into another surface, sort of like old style "iron on transfers". I believe you will need to coat the stainless steel with a clear polyester coating that readily absorbs these sublimated atoms. There are specialty stores which market all of the components.

^