-----

"What is the best wear resistant finish/coating to use on MIC 6?"

2005

I have an application where MIC 6 cast aluminum plates (11mm x 250mm x 300mm) will be on a palletized (belt driven) transport system. The plates will be stopped while the conveyor belt slides on the underside. I do not want to wear into the aluminum, nor do I want the aluminum to wear into the belt. Is hardcoat anodizing the only way to go? Also, I do not want to add anything dimensionally to the outside of the plate during plating. Any thoughts?

Jim English
OEM Manufacturer - Evansville, IN, USA
^

2005

If you really cannot add thickness, you cannot do anodizing, electroplating, PVD hard coatings, or organic (Teflon) coatings; you're in big trouble and limited to perhaps some kind of special cryogenic or ion implantation process. But I have a hard time believing that's really the case, and think you will find hard anodizing with teflon, or hard chrome plating to be possible approaches.

^

2005

This is a typical case where dimensional control means everything. As suggested by Ted, can't you make the plates undersize, do whatever coating best suits your needs and, if necessary, grind them back to size? If so, a whole spectrum of possibilities opens.

^

2005

Typically one would calculate the worst case plating thickness and modify the affected features accordingly.
I do believe the average build up of a Type 3 Hard Anodize is .0007 per surface but you can easily look that up (to confirm). I'm with Ted as far as coating, Type 3 Hard anodize w/Teflon. Maybe even a replaceable wear surface if you are really concerned with friction.

Gerardo G. Huerta
- San Jose, California, USA
^