-----

"Diphenyl Carbazide method to test chromate conversion coatings on aluminum?"

2005

I'd like to test an aluminum product that has a chromate conversion coating on traces of hexavalent chromium. Can I use the Diphenyl Carbazide method of ISO 3856-5 for this or can this method only used for chromium containing paints?

Secondly, I heard that for the Diphenyl Carbazide method to work, the coating cannot be older than three days. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Jaap Hoftijzer
automotive supplier - The Netherlands
^

2005

First, you need to do TCLP(Toxicity Characteristics Leaching Procedure)

Toxic Characteristic Leaching Procedure (TCLP) is an EPA SW-846 analytical method (Method 1311) that simulates sanitary landfill contaminant leaching in waste samples.

Hexavalent chromium reacts with diphenylcarbazide under acid conditions to form a red-violet color(diphenylcarbazide-dichromate complex). Results are quantified photometrically or by visual comparison with standards.

Brian Chang
- Taiwan
^

2006

Hello!
My name is Katya and I'm a student for biotechnology in Israel, and I'm doing a presentation about "Survival and chromate reducing ability of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in industrial effluent".
One of the methods to estimate the residual Cr(VI) in the culture supernatant fluid is by S-diphenyl carbazide, and I wonder if you can give me some information about this method, like how this method works and the principle of this method.
sincerely,

Katya Samonin
- Karmiel, Israel
^

Hello!
My name is Iftekhar and I'm a student of microbiology in Bangladesh, and I'm doing a research on "bioremediation of chromium by local bacterial isolates".
sincerely,

Department of microbiology
University of Dhaka

Iftekhar Md. Rafiqullah
- Dhaka, BANGLADESH
^