-----

"The manufacture, composition, properties, structure and rough costing of aluminum alloy 2024"

2005

Hello

I'm a yr12 Australian high school student studying engineering. We have been given an assessment requiring us to submit a report comparing the suitability of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Composite and 2024 aluminum alloy for aeronautical designs. We are to present the manufacturing process, properties, structure and simple costing of each to determine the most suitable.

I have found loads of information on aluminum as a material used for aeronautical designs but not much specifically on 2024 alloy. and the information I have is very technical and impossible to understand.

Do you have and information or could you please direct me to some sites where I would be able to find some appropriate, slightly simple, information?

Thank you Heaps!

Gabby

Gabrielle S.
Student - Singleton, NSW, Australia
^

2005

100 percent pure aluminum is not often used. Instead, various alloying materials are added to aluminum to give it different properties depending on whether you are looking for strength, ductility, electrical conductivity, corrosion resistance, etc. Aluminum is the 2xxx series, including 2024 are high copper alloys. The best thing to do is find a local library or school library that has a copy of the ASM Metals Handbook; you'll find that it will have a section on 2024 that answers your questions.

^