-----

"Having a gold ring dipped with white gold"

Ed. note; This is an interesting thread, and only one of many. Before you get too confused, you might want to start with our FAQ on Rhodium Plating and White Gold to get an overall understanding :-)

2005

I just purchased a white gold solitaire and they had a yellow gold wrap I liked but couldn't order it in white gold, but they said they could dip it in white gold. I asked if it would wear off but he assured me if it did it would be a long time from now and I could just get it done again, but after reading this web site it sounds like he lied to me, did he?

Laura Pratt
cosmetologist - Leeds, Maine
^

2005

"Lied" is a strong word, implying an intention to deceive, so I won't call this stranger a liar. The issue is that the rhodium plating will wear off eventually, especially on a ring because they get a lot of wear. As it begins to wear it would not be especially obvious if the ring were made of white gold but will be quite obvious, due to contrast, if the ring is yellow gold. A personal opinion I've come to just from reading all these letters is that you may or may not be happy with rhodium plating on a white gold ring but will almost surely be unhappy with it on a yellow gold ring.

^