-----

"Copper buffing"

2005

I would like to know whether copper buffing is possible.
Since I have a great hobby to collect copper vessels but I stay near the sea my vessels turn black.
I repeatedly polish them but no use.
Could You pl suggest some permanent solution to keep my copper vessels polished

Thanking,

Dr. S Dsouza
- Mumbai, India
^

2005

The nature of the problem, Dr. Dsouza, is that copper tarnishes such that buffing it may be fine but it will always immediately start tarnishing. You can apply benzotriazole as a corrosion inhibitor, or coat the items with Incralac, which is a combination of lacquer and corrosion inhibitor. The thing that troubles me, though, is use of the word "vessel"; I would not drink out of such a treated vessel or store a drink in it.

^